Sunday, April 18, 2010

Retro Game of the Day! Curse

Retro Game of the Day! Curse

Curse by Micronet, released in Japan for the Sega Megadrive in 1989.

An odd little shooter, sort of - Curse sticks out in my mind as being an early-announced game for the Sega Genesis which never made it to store shelves on these shores after all, strangely..

Being announced not-to-terribly long after Thunder Force II had whetted my appetite for 16-bit shooty destruction, Curse looked just like what the doctor ordered to fill the gap until the next fancy "big name" blast'em-up appeared. Plus, the name and screen shots looked kinda cool - and look at that boxart! Creepy and cool!

For some reason, it received magazine coverage (and ratings, even) but just disappeared off the face of the earth. Not having any brand cachet, I didn't care much and moved onto other things (though I did keep an eye out for it, for a time). If Curse had hit the shelves, I would have bought it! In hindsight, would I have enjoyed it?

Finally seeing the game years later, i can say I would have enjoyed it - though it's pretty standard fare, and was far outclassed by the games released shortly following (Whip Rush, Gaiares, Thunder Force III, et cetera) Curse wouldn't have held a candle to any of 'em, but like I said - it would have been a nice stopgap. Even now, it's not much to look at/play, but it does have it's fans and there's something compelling about it. I will play it some more, maybe you should too!

No comments:

Post a Comment